Saturday, May 11, 2013

"Of two sisters one is always the watcher, one the dancer."

One of my coworkers sent me a card with a beautiful quote by Louise Gluck;
"Of two sisters one is always the watcher, one the dancer."
Whether you have known Carla and I for years or you just learned more about her in the last half hour, you know that this quote is true on so many levels.  I think that in our respective roles as watcher and dancer we complimented each other and found the perfect balance for us---the perfect twosome.  I will miss Carla more than I can even fathom right now.  I don't know how to exist in this world without her, how to be alone.  I have a feeling that I'm going to spend the rest of my life trying to figure it out.  But I do know this:  I know in my heart-- she will always be there watching me as I attempt to dance through life and that I, will ALWAYS, be dancing for her.



A few months ago, Carla, Sam and I were in the car driving in a funeral procession and Carla, in true Carla style, said to us;  "Cremate me and have a party, I don't want any of this shit."  So on behalf of myself, my parents Cathy & Nick and my husband Sam, I would like to welcome you to Carla's party.  No matter how you knew Carla you are here because you loved her and because she loved you.  To put it bluntly this whole situation just sucks, at this point there is no reason to try to justify it or find a reason as to "why" it happened in the grand scheme of things.  Every one of us would give anything to have Carla back with us: to hear her sarcastic comments, to watch bad TV with her, to text her silly things, to have a dance party with her and sing at the tops of our lungs, to have her read our children a book.  But we can't, so we'll have to settle for celebrating her in the best way we know how---with stories, laughter and love.  Thanks to all of you who helped make this celebration of Carla's life come together....you have our heartfelt thanks and undying love and devotion.  We would like to invite you all to do some of Carla's favorite things--eat, drink and laugh.


I think that this accurately sums up this celebration of a life:

We show up, burn brightly in the moment,
live passionately, and when the moment is over,
when our work is done, we step back and let go.

Victory to our spirit, peace to all beings.