Saturday, May 11, 2013

"Every exit is an entrance somewhere else."

Sameer's remembrance June 12, 2012.

I would like to start tonight's memorial celebration with a story of a beginning.  The story of how Carla and I first met.  There are thousands of entrances and exits in our lives, some of them have little impact on us but others leave a mark for eternity.  The story of Carla's entrance and exit in my life is one that has left a mark and will have an impact on everything I do for the rest of my life.

I met Carla on July 15, 2008, her 27th birthday.  Some friends and I (many of whom became Carla's friends and are here tonight) were meeting down at The Tavern in Scotch Plains to watch the All-Star game.  As Brad and I walked in I noticed this girl (Marisa) at the bar whom I had met a few weeks prior.  I went up to say hi and it turned out that she was there celebrating her sister's birthday with some friends.  As she introduced us, Brad and I both noticed a pair of crutches leaning on the bar, and we asked if either one of them had hurt their leg.  Carla, in a non-dramatic smooth tone responded, "No, I have breast cancer and it spread to my bones."  That was my first introduction to Carla's special way of just laying it all out there.

From that night on, a bond formed between the two of us and over the next few years it grew stronger and stronger: from harassing Marisa, to acting silly at parties, to creating amazing Halloween costumes, to serious conversations about the things going on in our lives.  Carla and I became more than friends---we became siblings.

Being around Carla for the last few years showed me what real strength is and I hope I was able to reflect that back to her in the last weeks of her life.  I hope that my actions showed her how much I loved her and how important she was as a sister to me.  I found a quote by Tom Stoppard that I thought was appropriate:  "Every exit is an entrance somewhere else."

Carla, although your exit was too soon, I hope that you are making a grand and rocking entrance to the next phase and I know that wherever you are, you will continue to make a lasting impressions on those you meet just as you made on everyone in this room and beyond.