Monday, September 6, 2010

Toxin Tuesday Cont'd.....

So now that I made my appearance at the fair.........

Since I know this guy who is seasoned at shaving heads (cuz I am so badass), I had my own personal head Bic(er).  I continued to shave my head for the rest of the summer.  When the school year started I decided to buy a wig; didn't want to scare the little ones.  How do I describe the experience? When you approach a wig store, run in the opposite direction.  The spinning mannequin heads with wigs will terrify you!  The wig I purchased looked just like my hair used to, but a little longer. It was actually quite comfortable yet really hot.  I wore the wig for school only for about a month, then I realized it was just not me and super annoying.  So I made the decision to rock it bald, after all, I have a perfectly shaped head (besides the small dent my sister likes to point out).

I told my preschoolers that I was getting a haircut that weekend.  That Monday as I greeted them at the door, I got a few odd stares, some comments "Miss *******, you have no hair!", but mostly they didn't care.  If only the world was made up of all preschoolers; then dumbass people in bars wouldn't feel the need to make comments........

I went on a 'Girl's Weekend' trip to Baltimore with some friends a month after my new found baldness. The chick with cancer and three mothers, one with a 3 month old, you can imagine how badly we all needed a night out. I wore a hat and somehow scored some guy's number, sweet!  The coolest part of my night (and I mean that sarcastically) was when some random lady called one of my friends over and gave her a bracelet for me........oh god....
She could tell I was going through treatments, I guess the hat wasn't a great disguise, and wanted me to have her beaded bracelet, which said ENDURE.  Excuse me while I go take a shot. Seriously?!?

Fast forward to New Year's Eve and more dumbass people in bars. After I was diagnosed I became a little feisty, well....maybe I was feisty before I was diagnosed.  My hair was just long enough to attempt a baby fauxhawk.  Well into the evening, some guy tapped me on the shoulder and said "Excuse me, Sir."  I had already made eye contact with this guy several times, so he obviously knew I was not a sir.  I was wearing a floral cardigan, too (don't knock it, cardigans rule).  A few drinks in and I was ready to throw a few elbows, instead I just screamed at him that I had cancer, blah, blah, blah......I have cancer, blah, @#$%, blah, I am on chemo, blah, @#%, #$%!, you get the point.  He left. Quickly. That was scary...for him.  Sheesh!  I'm pretty sure he thought 'sir' was certifiably crazy.

I guess you have to get used random people commenting on your baldness and cancer out loud in public. Did I sign up for this? Regardless, I'm still kicking ass.