Friday, August 27, 2010

Toxin Tuesday: Who's in?!

Apparently, since I have no memory, my sister reminds me that I basically spent my months in remission drunk. She has the pictures to prove it.  Looks like I had a good time.

I never thought that I would have to start chemo so soon. I actually didn't think it was in my cards until years down the road.  But I did.  I started treatments after my 'F*ck Cancer' party, which rocked by the way.  So, the cocktail of choice was Abraxane/Avastin.  The schedule of treatments would be once a week for three weeks, and one week off. 
The side effects include: an allergic reaction (including difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives); decreased bone marrow function and blood problems (extreme fatigue; easy bruising or bleeding; black, bloody or tarry stools; fever or chills; or signs of infection); liver damage (abdominal pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); or severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; numbness or tingling; or irregular heartbeats; tissue or vein reactions near the site of administration; low red blood cell count; joint or muscle pain; sores in the mouth; hair loss; or mild to moderate nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite.  Oh there's more: dizziness, fainting, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, weakness, loss of appetite, heartburn, change in ability to taste food, diarrhea, weight loss, dry mouth, sores on the skin or in the mouth, or voice changes.  What?? You want my digits? I am one sexy bitch!
These two medications cause all of these lovely side effects, but you don't know which ones will pick you.  It's hard to believe that something that causes that much hell is supposed to make you better.  Before treatment, the nurses go over all the side effects and then tell you, you will lose your hair. Which I thought at the time was the least of my worries, come to find out, it was the hardest side effect to deal with.  They are really accurate about when you will lose it too, about 2-3 treatments in.  Bingo!  Summer vacation at the shore. 

It doesn't come out in clumps, more like sheets of hair fall out when you comb it.  It's actually pretty devastating.  I called my friend in a slight panic to come in the bathroom with me for moral support!  But if you have a perfectly shaped head like me;), it's all good.   
Within a week, it got super creepy and I had bald spots and my hair was really thin.  So I decided to buzz it.  That night I went to the Warren County Fair (nuff said) and fit right in.