Sunday, November 13, 2011

This is the woooooorrrrrst day of my life!!!!

This week was the 4th week from hell.  I've developed a pattern of spending long hours at least 3 days a week at the hospital.  This week was no different.

Monday:  Radiation @ 10:30.  Let's get this shit going!  Oh, I can't get radiation? The machine that takes the pictures before the first session is broken? So I came here just to get pictures taken of my ladytown, I mean hip?  How am I feeling? #%$@%#*(&@^%$@#, fine.

Tuesday:  Radiation @ 10:30. Your pictures were printed and they look good. Oh, you mean the cancer is doing it's job by eating my hip bone.  Let's get this shit going!  I forgot how when they radiate you, there's a horrifying buzzing sound with no warning, that makes you jump out of your skin. Sweet.
                Doctor appointment to follow.   I have some freaky red rash type thing on my legs and another rash on my elbows on top of my severe dry skin problem from one of my medications........and I'm nauseous.  We have a lot to talk about.  My platelets are low which causes petechiae, which takes care of my leg problem.  I have a fungus on my elbow. Gross. And now I need a bone marrow biopsy.
First, I get anti-nausea medicine and Ativan, to keep me calm for the biopsy, because I am trying very hard not to beeline for the exit.  I also get an xgeva shot in my arm and a zoladex shot in my stomach.  My doctor performs the biopsy in an exam room.  I made her explain everything she was doing.  She goes in through my lower back and numbs the first layer of skin.  Then she numbs the next layer of skin and then numbs the bone.  Then she starts tapping on my bone! I know, you can't believe it, right? I'll tell you again, she starts tapping on my bone! Can you feel that? Um, yup, I can. That's how numb you are! Oh, super....please stop!  Then she uses some tool to crank a hole in my bone and then suck out the marrow.  It's as horrible as it sounds.  Weirdest sensation ever, but no pain.  Just a sore back with a gaping hole in it.
 I'm almost positive that that needle, was in my back.

Wednesday:  Platelet transfusion @ 9:45.  Luckily, my transfusion was only one bag of platelets and pretty uneventful, except when they couldn't find the right place to access my already bruised port and kept pushing, poking and prodding it.  Ow.  This is what platelets look like. Who knew?

                      Followed by radiation @ 1:15.  Again, pretty uneventful, except when there was a communication breakdown between the doctor and the nurses because my platelets were low.  I had to sit with a nurse and talk about everything that just happened. For no valid reason I could think of. Just wasting my time.


Thursday:  Radiation @ 10:30.  Laying on a cold, hard table hurts after a bone marrow biopsy. Just saying.
                  I stopped by the treatment room so the nurses could check the xgeva injection site because I noticed it was red, irritated, hot and bruised.  And when I changed the biopsy bandage, it was still a gaping hole, so they checked that out too.  Now I have to wait for a doctor to see me.  An hour later, I am out the door with an antibiotic for the possibly infected injection site and a new bandage on my biopsy hole.

Friday:  Radiation @ 10:30.  Status quo. Oh wait, no it wasn't. I got AMBUSHED by a social worker right before treatment.  She pulled me into an exam room and wanted to talk and see how I was feeling. Really?

Week from hell complete.  Thanks for reliving that with me.  I have low, actually no, expectations for next week..............